Ferguson Public Library

Ferguson Public Library –https://www.instagram.com/ferglibrary/

This is my town’s public library, and I have been going there quite often since I came back to the States. I am a member of the library since 2005 when I started my studies in Stamford, CT. Back in the day, the library was much smaller than it is now and it is nicely organized. In 2005 we use to go to the library to rent movies because our English teacher used to tell us that watching movies would help us to learn English faster so I used to go 3 times a week to borrow DVD movies. The library underwent some major renovations and today technological nuances are already present within the four walls and outside to make the patron’s experience more enjoyable.

It seems that Ferguson’s Instagram page is very recent because it does not have too many followers (2,632) and the library follows 796 other people/community/hashtags combined. The library follows lots of local businesses and clubs which enables people from the Stamford area to get in touch with all the events that the library promotes. The library posts about 4 to 5 posts a week but I noticed that some months not many posts were written. The user sees more posts when there is an event coming or when events are over and photos are added to the stories or to the regular post page. The library’s Instagram page also shares some reels about the events that occur within the building and outside within the communities the library represents. Also, the library shares short videos of workshops and major presentations within its building.

The library also posts things about the other libraries around the area to show people that there is always something interesting going on for the community to attend. The posts cover a wide range of content for kids, teens, adults, and seniors. The contents displayed on the posts are mostly about events, book reviews, and local activities in the community. Patrons are also depicted on the pictures and end on the posting page. I feel that the library tries hard to engage the community to come and visit what the library has to offer and keep the page updated. I wish the library could have more followers because 26 hundred is a small number considering the size of Stamford, I hope people will join the page sooner or later. It needs more marketing so that people can join and be part of the library community. The library is tagged in many posts as well. At least the library does a good job using multimedia tools, lots of videos, and photos that anybody can see and hit “like.” I hope that the library gets more followers so that the community can enjoy all the activities offered by the library. 

The library promotes all the activities it offers. One thing worth noting is that most of the posts do not have any comments so the interaction with the patrons in this type of communication is diminished. I have a feeling that the patrons are not interested in adding comments under some events, videos, and photos they prefer to hit the “like” button. The library reposts some posts of the close libraries around the area and vice-versa.

The coverage is fair but we need more so that other communities around us can see that our library exists and tries its best to attend the intellectual needs of the patrons and of the community the library is part of.