The Ukrainian Museum and Why is Valuable to Me.

The above picture is the Ukrainian Museum of Stamford that over the years has preserved Ukrainian cultural records. The building was purchased in 1932, and transformed into a museum in 1936 and holds over 7,000 artifacts. For over 80 years the museum has been the guardian and promoter of Ukrainian heritage. The building itself has its own historical value and today preserves Ukrainian identity witness through the art it holds.  The museum holds in its collection ancient Ukrainian embroidering, wood carvings, sculptures pottery, art vestments, chalices, crosses, famous castings, and publications dating as far back as 1492 and much more.

I have always been fascinated by Ukrainian culture. My ancestors came from Ukraine straight to Brazil after World War I. I am a fourth generation of Ukrainians living in Brazil and we try to hold on to our cultural identity that has been handed down to us through the past generations, and this is the main reason I have chosen to write about this interest of mine over the year. The photos I am sharing through this link (on my Facebook page) illustrate a little bit of what Ukrainian cultural traditions are all about.

The artifacts depicted in the photos are from the collection that the museum holds and displays through the three floors which are opened for people to see and experience a little bit about Ukrainian culture. These photos are a few of so many more that form my own collections of images. I have been in love with Ukrainian culture since my early age when my mother used to teach us the meaning of the traditions they received. When I came to the States in 2005 I had the chance to help at the Ukrainian Museum and I fell in love even more with the beauty that the culture holds. Today I am proud to say that I conduct tours (when possible) throughout the building and make the Ukrainian culture known to others. What once was made known to me through my parents I can now share with others.